Predict the motion of a ski jumper (without friction)
Let's try to figure out the speed of a ski jumper as
he leaves the ramp -- assuming that there is
- height of ramp H = 50 m
- length of ramp (along the surface) L = 115 m
What is the angle θ of the ramp?
If the skier starts from rest at the top
of the ramp, how fast will he be moving when he leaves
the ramp at the bottom?
- Make a diagram of the situation.
- Draw a free-body diagram of the skier
- Make a table showing all the forces acting on the skier
- Determine the skier's acceleration down the track
- Compute the final speed of the skier, in m/s and mph
- Compute the time it should take to slide the given distance